All Linn Records SACDs are hybrid and will play in any CD player.|
Multichannel & Stereo SACD / CD
Il ritorno d'Ulisse in patria
Martin Pearlman (conductor)
The singing throughout was excellent
Kudos to Boston Baroque for attempting this and largely bringing it off. Boston Globe
The Boston Baroque players achieve superb clarity of texture, performing with exceptional technical adroitness. Opera News
Soloists: Fernando Guimarães (Ulisse), Jennifer Rivera (Penelope), Abigail Nims (Melanto), Daniel Auchincloss (Eumaeus), Sonja DuToit Tengblad (Juno), Ulysses Thomas (Antinous), and Marc Molomot (Irus)
Il ritorno d'Ulisse is unquestionably one of the three pillars that place Monteverdi among the greatest of opera composers; this recording marks the premiere of a new performing version by Martin Pearlman.
Portuguese tenor and baroque specialist Fernando Guimarães stars in the title role, alongside the internationally renowned mezzo-soprano Jennifer Rivera as his loving wife Penelope.
Il ritorno d'Ulisse was a relatively recent discovery, but following its authentication in the 1950s and revivals in Vienna and Glyndebourne, the opera has enjoyed new found popularity.
Martin Pearlman's new performing version benefits from the same attention to detail that has ensured his reputation as a leading champion of period performance. His highly considered approach to all aspects of the score and performance ensure this version is true to Monteverdi's original vision.
With a libretto drawing from Homer's Odyssey, Il ritorno d'Ulisse is a riveting human drama with an enviable cast including: Abigail Nims (Melanto), Daniel Auchincloss (Eumaeus), Sonja DuToit Tengblad (Juno), Ulysses Thomas (Antinous), and Marc Molomot (Irus).
Founded in 1973 by Martin Pearlman, Boston Baroque is already familiar to an international audience with its critically acclaimed catalogue of recordings.
Boston Baroque's recordings – of which Fanfare magazine wrote each one is an incomparable gem – are heard by millions on classical radio stations in North America and Europe.
Boston Baroque's many career milestones include the American premiere of Rameau's Zoroastre; a Mozart opera series including Marriage of Figaro, Così fan tutte, and the American period-instrument premieres of Mozart's Don Giovanni and The Magic Flute; and a revelatory exploration of the Beethoven symphonies on period instruments.
Il ritorno d'Ulisse in patria|
2. Act I, Scene 1: Di misera regina
3. Act I, Scene 2: Duri e penosi
4. Act I, Scene 4: Sinfonia (the sleeping Ulisse carried on shore)
5. Act I, Scene 5: Superbo è l'huom
6. Act I, Scene 6: In questo basso mondo
7. Act I, Scene 7: Dormo ancora
8. Act I, Scene 8: Cara e lieta gioventù
9. Act I, Scene 9: Tu d'Aretusa al fonte
10. Act I, Scene 10: Donata un giorno
11. Act I, Scene 11: Oh come mal si salva
12. Act I, Scene 12: Pastor d'armenti può
13. Act I, Scene 13: Ulisse generoso!
1. Act II, Scene 1: Lieto cammino
2. Act II, Scene 2: O gran figlio d'Ulisse
3. Act II, Scene 3: Che veggio, ohimè, che miro?
4. Act II, Scene 4: Eurimaco, la donna e insomma
5. Act II, Scene 5: Sono l'altre regine
6. Act II, Scene 7: Apportator d'alte novelle
7. Act II, Scene 8: Compagni, udiste
8. Act II, Scene 9: Perir non può
9. Act II, Scene 10: Io vidi, o pellegrin
10. Act II, Act II, Scene 11: Del mio lungo viaggio
11. Act II, Scene 12: Sempre villano Eumete
12. Act II, Scene 12: Tu vincitor
13. Act II, Scene 12: Ecco l'arco d'Ulisse
1. Act III, Scene 1: O dolor, o martir
2. Act III, Scene 3: E quai nuovi rumori
3. Act III, Scene 4: Forza d'occulto affetto
4. Act III, Scene 5: È saggio Eumete
5. Act III, Scene 6: Fiamma è l'ira, o gran Dea
6. Act III, Scene 7: Gran Giove
7. Act III, Scene 8: Ericlea, che vuoi far
8. Act III, Scene 9: Ogni nostra ragion
9. Act III, Scene 10: O delle mie fatiche
SACD, DSD and their logos are trademarks of Sony.
Linn Records Super Audio CDs
are distributed in Australia by
Rockian Trading, P.O.Box 44, Briar Hill, Vic, 3088, Australia
Telephone (03) 9432 4149 ~ Facsimile (03) 9444 6879