All Linn Records SACDs are hybrid and will play in any CD player.|
Multichannel & Stereo SACD / HDCD
Apollo et Hyacinthus
Ian Page, conductor
These young singers and a period-instrument orchestra deliver uniformly superb interpretations. - Gramophone
Classical Opera’s polished début in Apollo et Hyacinthus proved a pearl beyond price. Here was a work of staggering beauty. - Opera
Much of the delight came from the discovery of Sophie Bevan, a soprano who, despite her youth, has the richness of tone and command of vocal gesture of a singer at the peak of her powers. - The Guardian
Following its successful full length opera, Artaxerxes, Classical Opera return with the first in an epic series of Mozart operas Apollo et Hyacinthus.
Classical Opera has mounted two staged productions of Mozart's Apollo et Hyacinthus (1998 and 2006), with both receiving critical acclaim.
This recording has been eagerly awaited since its 2007 debut CD,
The A-Z of Mozart Opera was released, described by David Vickers in Gramophone as glorious
fresh, diverse, insightful and illuminating.
The company features a mix of seasoned and young performers including Klara Ek (Melia), Sophie Bevan (Hyacinthus), Lawrence Zazzo (Apollo), Christopher Ainslie (Zephyrus), Andrew Kennedy (Oebalus), Marcus Farnsworth and David Shipley (Priests of Apollo).
Classical Opera was founded in 1997 by conductor Ian Page. It specialises in the music of Mozart and his contemporaries, performing with its own period-instrument orchestra, and is considered one of Britain's most exciting and highly regarded young arts organisations.
APOLLO ET HYACINTHUS, K.38|
1. Intrada 2:41
2. Recitativo: Amice! iam parata sunt omnia (Hyacinthus, Zephyrus, Oebalus, Melia] 2:53
3. No.1, Chorus: Numen o Latonium (Chorus, Oebalus) 4:26
4. Recitativo: Heu me! periimus! (Melia, Oebalus, Hyadnthus, Zephyrus) 1:24
5. No.2, Aria: Saepe terreni Numina (Hyacinthus) 7:48
6. Recitativo: Ah Nate! vera loqueris (Oebalus, Apollo, Hyacinihus, Melia, Zephyrus) 3:04
7. No.3, Aria: lam pastor Apollo (Apollo) 3:46
8. Recitativo: Amare numquid Filia (Oebalus, Melia) 1:49
9. No.4, Aria: Loelari, iocari (Melia) 6:39
10. Recitativo: Rex! de salute Filii (Zephyrus, Oebalus, Melia) 5:22
11. No.5, Aria: En! duos conspicis (Zephyrus) 3:08
12. Recitativo: Heu! Numen! ecce! (Zephyrus, Melia, Apollo) 2:05
13. No.6, Duetto: Discede crudelis! (Melia, Apollo) 6:22
14. Recitativo accompagnato: Non est - Quis ergo Nate! (Hyacinthus, Oebalus) 2:35
15. No.7, Aria: Ut novis in aequore luxuriante (Oebalus) 6:16
16. Recitativo: Quocumque me converto (Meiia, Oebalus) 2:56
17. No.8, Duetto: Notus codii, atque Deus (Oebalus, Melia) 5:42
18. Recitativo: Rex! me redire cogit (Apollo, Oebalus, Melia) 4:49
19. No.9, Terzetto: Tandem posi turbida fulmina (Apollo, Melia, Oebalus) 2:45
Total Playing Time: 76:38
Linn Records CDs
are distributed in Australia by
Rockian Trading, P.O.Box 44, Briar Hill, Vic, 3088, Australia
Telephone (03) 9432 4149 ~ Facsimile (03) 9444 6879