All Linn Records SACDs are hybrid and will play in any CD player.|
Hybrid Multichannel & Stereo SACD / HDCD
Jonathan Freeman-Attwood (trumpet)
Daniel-Ben Pienaar (piano)
Trumpet Masque sees renowned trumpeter Jonathan Freeman-Attwood explore his passion for expanding the instrument's limited chamber repertoire by imaginatively arranging Baroque works previously scored for alternative forces.
In Trumpet Masque, Jonathan Freeman-Attwood and Daniel-Ben Pienaar take a radical new look at the 17th century with a compelling vision of repertoire historically far-removed from the traditional contexts of both trumpet and piano.
Through wonderfully vibrant programming and arrangements, this invigorating and warm-hearted chamber duo present music from Dowland to Purcell in an energetic, innovative and 21st century fashion.
The aim of this recording is to open our ears to a period of unequalled variety, colour, regional diversity and expressive freedom: the Venetian world of Gabrieli, the great pre-Bach North German lineage of Buxtehude, Jacobean dances and songs and the great G major sonata from Muffat's 'Armonico Tributo' with its virtuoso and valedictory passacaglia, which appropriately ends the disc.
Jonathan Freeman-Attwood, the newly-appointed principal at the Royal Academy of Music, London, is a multi-talented trumpeter, academic and Renaissance Man (BBC Music Magazine).
Jonathan Freeman-Attwood's career also extends to recording producer for many independent labels. Several of his productions have won major awards, including five Gramophone Awards.
South African born Daniel-Ben Pienaar is an award-winning pianist whose live performances and recordings have won him widespread acclaim: a kaleidoscope of colours and textures (International Piano).
Trumpet Masque provides a unique 21st century perspective on re-discovered chamber music of the Baroque period expertly re-worked for trumpet and piano.
Freeman-Attwood's playing is striking for the beauty of his lyrical phrasing and his richness of colour. Gramophone
1. Louis Marchand: Grand Dialogue du 5e ton 5:59|
2. François Couperin: Chromhorne sur la Taille 2:26
3. Giovanni Gabrieli: Canzon seconda 2:00
4. Joan Cabanilles: Tiento XVII de 'Pange lingua' punt alt 3:49
5. Francisco Correa de Arauxo: Tiento de medio registro, no. 36 4:20
6. Heinrich Schütz: Der Herr ist gross, SWV 286 1:55
7. Claudio Monteverdi: Laudate Dominum 3:32
8. Dietrich Buxtehude: Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott 3:05
9. Georg Böhm: Vater unser in Himmelreich 3:30
10. John Dowland: When the poore Criple 3:05
11.-12. Anthony Holborne: 'Dovehouse' Pavan and Galliard 3:47
13. Henry Purcell: Fantasia 4, Z735 4:05
14. Jan Pieterzoon Sweelinck: Variations on 'Onder een linde groen' 3:47
15. Jean-Baptiste Lully, arr. Purcell?: Scocca pur 4:20
16. Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber: Sonata VIII 2:38
17.-21. Georg Muffat: Sonata no. 5 in G major 9:47
Total Time 72:57
SACD, DSD and their logos are trademarks of Sony.
Linn Records Super Audio CDs
are distributed in Australia by
Rockian Trading, P.O.Box 44, Briar Hill, Vic, 3088, Australia
Telephone (03) 9432 4149 ~ Facsimile (03) 9444 6879