Sono Luminus is proud to announce the latest project from Michael Lewin, Piano Phantoms, following the popular and critical success of If I Were a Bird (DSL-92103). This creative new recording is a collection of 18 piano pieces by a mixture of famous and lesser-known composers, each inspired by phantoms, goblins, ghosts and the spirit world. This program includes eight world premiere recordings.
Mr. Lewin commented, It was a great pleasure to make a second theme recording for Sono Luminus. The entire process is so exciting — musical discoveries, the unearthing of new repertoire, creating a wonderful and interesting program, learning and performing the music, then finally, recording in the beautiful Sono Luminus studios in Virginia. The response to our first disc together, If I Were a Bird, has been warm and gratifying, and I hope that our listeners will also enjoy this slightly more shadowy cast of characters!
Michael Lewin enjoys a distinguished international reputation as one of America's most abundantly gifted and charismatic concert pianists, performing to acclamation in 30 countries. Commanding a repertoire of forty piano concertos, Michael Lewin has appeared as soloist with the Netherlands Philharmonic, Cairo Symphony, Bucharest Enescu Philharmonic, Filharmónica Jalisco de Guadalajara, State Symphony of Greece, the Boston Pops, Moscow Chamber Orchestra, the Symphonies of Phoenix, Indianapolis, Miami, Colorado, Nevada, West Virginia, Puerto Rico, Illinois, North Carolina, Sinfonia da Camera, and the Youth Orchestra of the Americas. He has premiered two Concertos by David Kocsis and performed Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue over 50 times.
Lewin's career was launched with top prizes in the Franz Liszt International Piano Competition in the Netherlands, the American Pianists Association Award and the William Kapell International Competition. Following his notable New York recital debut in Lincoln Center, The New York Times wrote that his immense technique and ability qualify him eminently for success. Since then he has concertized widely in solo recital, with orchestras, and as a chamber musician.
Piano Phantoms is a tour-de-force of virtuoso pianism and imaginative musicianship. Michael Lewin's artistic tone-painting, control of tone colors and ability to tell stories through sound gives unique life to each ghost and goblin.
1. Ghosts: Night on the Fleet - Walter Niemann|
2. Round of Phantoms - Sergei Lyapunov
3. The Goblins of Wedding Procession at Vossevangen - Edvard Grieg
4. The Ghost Ship, Op. 1b - Carl Tausig
5. Wood Goblin - Nikolai Medtner
6. Goblins of Dance - Antonin Dvorak
7. A Ghost Story - Eugene Goossens
8. Ghost Dance of the Zunis - Carlos Troyer
9. Night Music of the Mountain Goblin - Heino Kaski
10. The Ghosts of Restormel - John Vallier
11. Graceful Ghost Rag - William Bolcom
12. Some Goblins and Gnomes and Things - Harry Farjeon
13. The Goblin and the Mosquito - Florence Price
14. Goblin Dance - Edgar Bainton
15. The Dance of the Phantoms - Ferdinand Hiller
16. March of the Goblins - Julie Rivé-King
17. Spirit Dance - Franz Schubert, Arr: Stephen Heller
Ghost Variations - Robert Schumann
19. Variation I
20. Variation II
21. Variation III
22. Variation IV
23. Variation V