In October 2011, American organist Christian Lane won 1st Prize at the 2nd Canadian International Organ Competition (CIOC) held in Montreal. On this new recording, Mr. Lane embraces a wide sample of music, with the magnificent Casavant organ Op. 869 at des Saints-Anges Gardiens Church in Lachine (Montreal) as his inspiration and focus. The program includes romantic repertoire from three traditions and comprises works by Elgar, Schumann, Liszt, Vierne, and Dupré among others.
Mr. Lane’s CD is the initiative of organist John Grew, artistic director of the CIOC. It follows the recording with Frédéric Champion, winner of the first edition of the Canadian International Organ Competition which was held in 2008.
Christian Lane is one of America's most accomplished young organists. Consistently acclaimed for his driving energy and mature interpretation (The American Organist), he holds a Bachelor's degree and the Sacred Music Diploma from the Eastman School of Music, where his mentor and teacher was Prof. David Higgs. Subsequently, he completed graduate work with Prof. Thomas Murray as a Robert Baker Scholar at Yale University, earning a Master's degree from the Yale School of Music and a certificate from Yale's Institute of Sacred Music.
Edward William ELGAR (1857-1934)|
1. | Imperial March en si bémol majeur | B-flat Major 5:51
Robert SCHUMANN (1810-1856)
2. | Canon en la bémol majeur | A-flat Major 3:58
Franz LISZT (1811-1886)
3. | Variations sur Weinen, Klagen, Sornen, Zagen 19:45
Jean ROGER-DUCASSE (1873-1954)
4. | Pastorale en fa majeur | F Major 13:16
Louis VIERNE (1870-1937)
5. | Clair de lune (Pièce de fantaisie) 10:05
Percy WHITLOCK (1903-1946)
6. | Folk Tune en fa dièse mineur | F-sharp minor 4.02
7. | Allegretto en mi majeur | E Major 2:55
Marcel DUPRÉ (1886-1971)
8. | Prelude & fugue en si majeur | B Major 7.34
9. | Carillon de Westminster (Pièce de fantaisie) 6:58
ATMA Classique is distributed in Australia by Rockian Trading
PO Box 44, Briar Hill, Vic, 3088, Australia
Telephone +61 (0)3 9432 4149 ~ Facsimile +61 (0)3 9444 6879